Sunday 20 April 2014

Art


I started trying to draw well somewhere when I was about 5 or 6. It began when I was a constant reader of the Calvin and Hobbes comics, and I loved them so much that I wanted to draw the characters too. So with practice and constant determination I managed to make some rather crude images of Calvin and his friend Hobbes. However, I thought they were awesome. I continued to draw from looking at the comics, until I decided to draw the characters without any help. 
In school, my Art teachers said my work was very good. I was so proud that I decided I could draw more than just a kid and his little tiger friend. So I began to draw all sorts of crazy, young-minded doodles. Back then in school I couldn't help myself and eventually I had drawings on my folders, binders, homework pages, and sometimes even textbooks. The teachers were a bit annoyed. Even my Art teachers said I should slow down a bit. But I had already caught on tut o the bad habit and by 5th grade I was still drawing everywhere I could.
Meanwhile, my drawing skills had improved ridiculously fast. I didn't know how fast it improved until I looked at an older drawing of mine and saw the vast difference. Around 6th and 7th grade I slowly made a few of my own characters, some story lines, and a hand full of unfinished comics, all being very different from each other. But there was one thing I still hadn't done that would change the way I drew for the rest of my life. . . sketching.
I decided to try sketching when we moved from South Carolina in America to Dublin in Ireland, as my Dad got a job opportunity there. I didn't think sketching would be a big change in my art technique, but when I first tried it, I thought it was the best thing ever, and now I rarely draw things without sketching them first. This was the very first drawing I ever made in Ireland and the first that I tried to make by sketching first. I was 12 when I made it. It was done in pencil.


I then inked it, which was something else I had never done. Later, in Art class we talked about shading things to give them "Weight." And when she said that, I wanted to try it out. So, using some imagination, I made some sketched robots with shaded bodies.



I thought that these drawings looked like they had real weight to them and gave them real metal features. I loved shading so much not only because of this, but because I didn't really have any coloring tools yet, and shading in my opinion was just as good. As you can see from the drawings, my skills improved very quickly. There are many more of these shaded drawings, but I'll show them later.
My Mom noticed my skills in drawing and she gave me some very crucial tips in making the human shape look human. These few pointers gave my robots more and more lifelike looks, and I became more and more proud of my skills.
Then came Christmas. We had all the presents under the tree, and my family was eagerly taking out presents. My brothers got legos and cars and my sisters got barbies and makeup. I got a huge bagful of art supplies, which included a graphite set, erasers, pencils, pens, mechanical pens, five notebooks, pro markers, and pencil sharpeners (and also the 4 six piece Twirl bar bags which I guiltily ate before the end of the Christmas break).
With these new art items (the pro markers especially), my art quality improved drastically. I will try to constantly post these drawings and try to keep a steady pattern of one post every week. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing all these. I think you might just be the next Sci-Fi genious to make a huge name for himself

    ReplyDelete